School Nursing Information
We would like to take the opportunity to you introduce you to the School Nursing team now that your child has joined the school.
Your School Nurse team works within schools and the wider community to:
– Provide health advice to help children and young people make the best of their education
– Provide advice and support to parent/carers and schools
– Support young people to look after their own health
– Direct children and their families to the right services.
– Undertake review of growth as part of National Child Measurement programme (Reception and Y6).
– Identify health needs and trends
This is provided via:
– A referral system so parents, carers, young people and professionals can request
support from the School Nurse team/service
– Confidential clinic appointments (book via PHN hub)
– Phone advice and support (PHN hub contact details below)
– Text advice and support (via ChatHealth, details below)
As a parent/carer you can talk to the School Nurse about any health concerns for your child which may include:
– Healthy lifestyle choices – including healthy eating and physical activity
– Worries about your child’s physical and mental health
– Body shape or size
– Stress at school or at home
– Management of a health condition
– Keeping safe
– Friendships and bullying
– Bladder and bowel issues (toileting advice)
When they work with families, confidentiality and information sharing will be discussed with you. If there is a concern that someone may be suffering, or is at risk of significant harm information is shared following safeguarding procedures.
Your school nurse team can be contacted at:
East Devon Public Health Nursing HUB – 0333 234 1903
If you would like advice from a School Nurse, want to make or change an appointment, or would like to make a referral for your child to the School Nursing Team – please contact the HUB on the number above. You can also text for information or advice via ChatHealth on 07520 631 721 or find out more information online at http://devon.integratedchildrensservices.co.uk/public-health-nursing/
Click here to read the July-September newsletter.